ECA 2023 ... Philosophy of Communication Interest Group Call for Submissions
Submission Deadline Dates: Sun, 10/16 2022 11:59 PM EDT
Call for Papers
Philosophy of Communication Division
114th Eastern Communication Association Convention
March 29th to April 2nd, 2023
Submission Deadline: October 16, 2022 11:59 P.M. (EST)
ALL Submissions must be uploaded through Attendee Interactive:
The Eastern Communication Association will hold their 114th Annual Convention in Baltimor, MD from March 29th to April 2nd, 2023. “Harboring Innovation” stands as the convention theme, and the deadline for submissions is October 16th, 2022 11:59 P.M. (EST).
The Philosophy of Communication Interest Group seeks individual paper, panel, and roundtable submissions centered on the convention theme of “Harboring Innovation.” This convention planner asks participants “bring to Baltimore your best thoughts about innovating the field, our scholarship, our teaching, and our outreach.”
The convention theme centers on reflection and innovation. Toward this end, the Philosophy of Communication Interest Group welcomes completed papers and panel submissions which focus on themes rooted in philosophy of communication that also intersect with the conference theme “Harboring Innovation.” Some guiding questions may include, but are not limited to: In what ways is our field at the forefront of studying the powerful relationships among communication and our relationships, organizations, communities, and the environment? What innovative theories, questions, methods, data analysis techniques, and practices are emerging from our field? What opportunities exist for us to innovate with our research, service, pedagogy, and practice? How are you responding to your environment to ensure that your work and our field are addressing the practical communication concerns of today and tomorrow?
ECA utilizes Attendee Interactive to manage submissions and reviews. ECA will send an email to members and update the Convention section of its website with a link to the submission link this summer. To submit your work, you will be prompted to login using ECA-specific credentials (you do not use login credentials you may have created for any other association, such as NCA, that uses Attendee Interactive), or to create an account.
You may only submit a single paper to one interest group or affiliate organization for consideration.
Submission of Completed Papers: Individual submissions of completed papers will provide the following through Attendee Interactive:
2. Author(s): If the paper has multiple authors, submitter should indicate who will be presenting at the convention.
3. Abstract (5,000 character max)
4. Special Requests
-Debut Paper: Papers written by authors who have not presented previously at a regional
or national convention.
6. Requests for Audio-Visual Equipment: Internet Access, Laptop Audio, LCD Projector
7. Upload of your Completed Paper:
-Paper must have no identifying author, school, faculty, or contact information
-Abstract (one page max with Statement of Professional Responsibility below)
-The word “Debut” marked on all papers written by authors who have not previously presented at a regional or national convention.
-Required File Format: MS Word Document or PDF
-Consistent Formatting: APA, MLA, or Chicago Style
-Double-Spaced, 12 Point Times New Roman Font
8. A statement of professional responsibility
Submission of Program/Panel Proposals: Submission of program/panel proposals should include the following elements submitted through Attendee Interactive:
- A thematic title for the program.
2. Names of the chair and respondents (if any). Chairs should not also be designated as respondents.
3. Names, mailing addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, and institutional affiliations of all participants.
4. Titles and abstracts for each paper or presentation.
5. A program copy (no more than a 75-word description) as it should appear in the final program.
6. A detailed rationale for the program/panel.
7. A statement of professional responsibility.
Submission of Roundtable: Submission of Roundtable proposals should include the following elements submitted through Attendee Interactive:
- Roundtable Title
2. Name of the chair
3. Participants (Featured Experts): Names, mailing addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, and institutional affiliations of all participants.
4. Description: A program copy (no more than a 75-word description) as it should appear in the final program.
5. Rationale for Roundtable (10,000 Character max)
6. Target Audience (10,000 Character max)
7. Requests for Audio-Visual Equipment: Internet Access, Laptop Audio, LCD Projector
8. Special Requests
9. Supporting Document(s): Purpose of the roundtable (program copy), agenda for roundtable, and invitation for audience participation.
10. A statement of professional responsibility.
Include the following Statement of Professional Responsibility with submissions:
In submitting the attached paper or proposal, I/We recognize that this submission is considered a professional responsibility. I/We agree to present this panel or paper if it is accepted or programmed. I/We further recognize that all who attend and present at ECA’s annual meeting must register and pay required fees.
The following statement MUST be included with every submission of a paper or panel in order for it to be eligible for review.
Submission Deadline: October 16, 2022 11:59 P.M. (PST)
Convention Acceptance Notifications: January 2023
For additional information about the upcoming convention, please visit ECA’s website http://www.ecasite.org/. All questions or concerns related to the Philosophy of Communication Interest Group can be directed to:
Penn State Shenango