ECA 2013 Convention - Call for Papers - Media Ecology Association
Call for Papers 2013
Media Ecology Association
104th Annual Eastern Communication Association Convention
Omni William Penn Hotel
April 24-28, 2013
Submission Deadline: Monday, October 15, 2012
The Media Ecology Association, an affiliated association of the Eastern Communication Association, invites the submission of competitive papers, thematic program/panel proposals, and innovative programming alternatives (e.g., roundtables, symposia, debates, open forums, and community programs) for the 104th annual convention of the ECA.
The 2013 convention theme, “Confluence,” reflects the fact that the convention’s site, downtown Pittsburgh, emerged where the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers forms the Ohio River. It reflects the tradition of communication and media research bringing together ideas from various perspectives to better understand how humans create meaning, relationships, and the environments in which we live and co-exist. It reflects the best of our interdisciplinary scholarship. Finally, for media ecology in particular, it reflects the merging of the two words that represent and define our particular theoretical framework.
In keeping with the convention theme, we ask you to consider papers, thematic panels, and other programs that explore the issues and questions of confluence, as well as the ways in which these issues and questions intersect with the critical, methodological, research, and/or theoretical issues in media ecology.
Given this year’s convention theme, co-sponsorship of panels between and among interest groups is especially encouraged where scholarship builds on convergence between traditions.
In addition, please note that the Third Annual James C. McCroskey and Virginia P. Richmond Undergraduate Scholars Conference (USC) will run concurrently with the ECA convention on Friday and Saturday, April 26-27. The deadline for the submission of USC papers is December 19, 2012 so as to allow undergraduate student papers from the Fall semester to be submitted. All such papers should be submitted directly to the USC planner.
General information about the convention and the 2013 Call for Papers can be found at http://www.ecasite.org/aws/ECA/pt/sp/p_Home_Page.
Submissions to the Media Ecology Association must adhere to the following guidelines. In order to receive full consideration, completed papers and program/panel proposals must be received by October 15, 2012.
Submissions must be sent via e-mail, with attachment(s) in MS Word format, to the 2013 Program Planner:
Thom Gencarelli, Manhattan College - firstname.lastname@example.org
Abstracts or incomplete papers are not acceptable. Submissions of competitive papers should be sent as a Microsoft Word file, and must include:
1. A detachable title page with the title of the paper and the author or authors’ name(s), affiliation, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
2. The word “Debut” marked on all papers written by authors who have not presented previously at a regional or national convention. The word "STUDENT" marked on all papers written by current undergraduate or graduate students. Please include this mark at the upper right-hand corner of the title page.
3. A one-page abstract on the second page.
4. The following statement of professional responsibility: “In submitting the attached paper, I/We recognize that this submission is considered a professional responsibility. I/We agree to present this paper if it is accepted. I/We further recognize that all who attend and present at ECA's annual meeting must register and pay required fees.”
Papers submitted without this statement will not be programmed.
The e-mail subject header should include “MEA @ ECA submission” and the title of the paper.
The e-mail text must also include any media requests (projectors, screens, etc.). Reasonable requests for media support will not be met unless they are received by the program planner at the time of the paper submission.
Finally, if the paper is multi-authored, please indicate who will be presenting the paper at the convention.
All program/panel submissions should be sent as a Microsoft Word file, and must include:
1. A thematic title for the program/panel.
2. The name of the Chair, and Respondent (if any). The Program Planner will not provide panel with Chairs. Moreover, please do not have Chairs act as Respondents.
3. The names, institutional affiliations, mailing addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of all participants.
4. Titles and abstracts for each paper or presentation.
5. Program copy (no more than a 75-word description) as it should appear in the final program.
6. A detailed rationale for the program/panel.
7. The following statement of professional responsibility: “In submitting the attached proposal, I/We recognize that this submission is considered a professional responsibility. I/We agree to present this program/panel if it is accepted. I/We further recognize that all who attend and present at ECA's annual meeting must register and pay required fees.”
Programs/panels submitted without this statement will not be programmed.
The e-mail subject header should include “MEA @ ECA” and the title of the program/panel.
Finally, the e-mail text must include any media requests (projectors, screens, etc.). Reasonable requests for media support will not be met unless they are received by the program planner at the time of the program/panel submission.
For any additional information regarding this CFP, please contact the Media Ecology Association Program Planner:
4513 Manhattan College Parkway
Riverdale, NY 10471
< Back | Printer Friendly Page